Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reformation Day!


As I'm sure ALL of you have marked on your calendars...October 31 was not only Halloween, but REFORMATION DAY!!! Now, I have always kind of known that this day existed, but the day has never really been more than a passing thought on Halloween. It has never really meant something to me. However, on this October 31, that all changed.

Basically everyone I know in the Holy Land went to Redeemer in the Old City for a special service. It was packed! There was this really cool procession at the beginning where the Protestant clergy from all of these different countries walked in. There were men and women from the USA and Canada (I think they were all Lutheran..I actually think everyone who processed was Lutheran even though my Scottish Presby friend was asked), Finland, Denmark, Germany (3 pastors), Norway, and Jerusalem. They were all wearing their regional robes and fancy things and you know how I feel about that stuff...I was like a kid in a candy store! OH! And Bishop Younan walked in with a pope-like hat and his gold shepherd's staff. It was so cool!!! Well, the bulletins were in German (yikes) and a lot of the service and songs were in German, but every once in a while (for really important stuff) they would have one person from the three major languages in the area (German, English, and Arabic) go up to the mic. It was just so cool and overwhelming to be in this packed cathedral with Protestants from all over the world! The service was an hour and forty minutes, but I didn't notice b/c it was just such a special moment in my life. It was also really overwhelming when we all sang "A Mighty Fortress"!! Even though it was in German, the place was thundering!! Protestants are such a small, small population, but we went crazy that night!!

Then after the service there was a reception. As we were leaving the cathedral I noticed that all of these Catholic priests, nuns, monks and Orthodox, Coptic, and Syrian priests showed up!! I flipped out! WHAT WERE THEY DOING THERE!?!? They even came to the reception and one monk came up to me and introduced himself and said that he was having a great time (I had changed into my "Luther is My Homeboy" tee-shirt even though it was a formal occasion). I asked my boss what they were all doing there and he said, "When Christians as a whole make up less than 1% of the population, you become really supportive of each other...You can't afford not to." That really made me happy. The whole night was just a really great night and I can't believe I got to be here for Reformation Day! (Now it has become painfully obvious how much of a Church History nerd I have really become.)

3 comments: