Thursday, September 3, 2009

My First Day!

Hello everyone (e.g. mom and dad)!!

I have just finished my first full, complete day in Jerusalem and I am exhausted! However, I thought you might want to hear about everything leading up to this point.

FLIGHT:

I had a lot of drama in the beginning, but it all ended up OK. In Minneapolis, I was told to go to the NW site multiple times by multiple people (I had an odd symbol and I didn't know what airline it was). When I finally got to the front of the line, I was told by the machine and the man behind the counter that I didn't exist in the system and that I might have to buy a whole new ticket! It took about an hour for him (and his supervisor) to realize that the symbol was United and not Northwest. I had to sprint to the plane (which I almost missed), but I made it.

While in Chicago, I got to spend a little less that an hour with my two best friends, Gil and Emily, having lunch. Unfortunately, I was so paranoid about my flight, I probably wasn't as much fun as I usually am. In fact, I was nauseous and thought I had to throw up the whole time. When I finally made it back to O'Hare, during the security check, my tickets fell. I wanted to go back and get them, but the guards wouldn't let me. So, I had to run (again) to the Lufthansa ticket booth to beg them for another ticket and convince them I wasn't a fraud.

However, once I was on the plane, I was delighted to be surrounded by 15, matching vest wearing members of the "Friendship Force of Wisconsin". They made the trip a hilarious delight, providing commentary on everything especially when a verbal fight broke out between a stewardess and the woman sitting in front on me. I will miss them.

When I arrived in Frankfurt (about midnight our time, 5 am their time), I had to wait in this long line outside of ANOTHER (I think by this point it was 3 or 4) security check point for it to open. During that time a fight (verbal, not physical) broke out between a Palestinian and an American Jew. To my amazement, no one but me seemed phased. No one even tried to brake it up. After about 30 minutes, they retreated to their own corners, but it was a great way to start my morning!

After an extremely thorough check (I can't even begin to describe how uncomfortable I was), I got to sit for two hours waiting to bored the plane. About 40 minutes before we boarded, out of nowhere, 3 men literally popped up, strapped on their Tefillin and prayer shawls, and began to pray. Right in the middle of the terminal! It was at this point that it really hit me. I looked around and almost all of the men were either wearing traditional, orthodox clothing or their yarmulke and the women were all completely covered (except for one German girl who insisted on wearing high heels, a low-cut top, and a mini-skirt...I think she's in for quite a shock when she gets here).

With some of you, I have been bragging about the pillow that I bought out of skymall. You know, the one that you put on the tray and just put your head down?? Well...I never used it. Sorry mom! I REALLY wanted to and I was exhausted, but to be honest, I was sitting next to a really cute boy (that plane was chock full of 'em!) and I didn't want to look stupid, blowing up a pillow in the middle of the plane. I'll just have to find out on my way back.

HOLY LAND:

So, I arrived in Tel Aviv! Yay! I got hassled a little bit by the woman at the window (something I was told to expect), but she let me through. I congratulated myself on not getting arrested.

After a lovely meal at the Brown's home (my supervisor and his wife), where I got to hear and see the canon (yes, that kind of canon) shot to tell the Muslims in the city that the sun has officially set and they can eat. I feel so incredibly lucky that I get to live in the Holy Land during Ramadan, Yum Kippur, and Rosh Hashanah! After dinner, I slept like I have never slept before...

That is until 3:30 am.

That would be when I began to hear drumming. I thought someone was at my door, then I thought I was imagining things, but I wasn't. The drum is to tell all of the Muslims in the city (yes, it is that loud) that it is time to eat before sunrise. Then, from about 4:30 am-8:00 am was chanting and calls to prayer. To be honest, I actually think that the call to prayer is amazingly beautiful and, so far, it's my favorite thing about Jerusalem. I've heard it now about 6 times since I landed yesterday and I think it's breathtakingly beautiful. My favorite time to hear it is during the sunset.

WORK:

I worked all day today (a feat since I was basically sleeping while I was standing AND in some pretty hot weather which makes you tired all on its own) and I am really excited for some of the things that I will be doing. One of my major projects I can't really talk about until later, but I'll make sure to tell anyone who's interested about it when I get back. Mark also said that I would be spending a lot of time with the kids that are on dialysis at the hospital. These children have to wake up at 3am, every other day, so that they can get through the checkpoints in enough time to get here by 11 am (I've been told it really does take that long). They then spend 4 hours going through treatment. So, the hospital wants to put a little focus on them so that their stay is a little more welcoming. I may do some theater stuff, but I will also be playing with them, helping them with their homework, helping them with their English, and MAYBE putting on a play where they are the players.

I've also told a lot of you that I will be helping the LWF with their big fundraising event of picking the olives from the olive tree and making it into olive oil. I used this as a foray into my own interests of how they fundraise and where their funds come from, but I think I may have blind-sided them. I also think no one has really shown any interest in their development structure, so I didn't get as much info as I was hoping. Have no fear though! I have now read 6 of their annual reports (starting in 1968 and including this years). Now I have 1972-2007 to read! Once I gain a little more trust, I'm going to go after them with MUCH more development questions.

OTHER STUFF:

Tonight was the weekly (every Wednesday) volleyball/potluck dinner at the Brown's home. It was fun and I made nice with a Swede and a Fin, but my shyness got the best of me. I'm working on it though.

I'm really excited to go to the Old City and around the area to see all of the holy sites! I want this to happen as soon as possible! I also want to celebrate an iftar in the community. Around here, especially toward the end of Ramadan, people stay out all night, talking at cafes, shopping, getting their hair cut, honking their horns outside my window, etc. Because they can't eat or drink all day, they party at night. I can't wait to be a part of that!

OK. I've written WAY too much. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're blogging about all of this! Thank you. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete