Friday, September 4, 2009

Ramadan

It's been really interesting living in Jerusalem during the holy month of Ramadan. This isn't my first exposure to it, but it is on such a LARGE scale.

For example, about 85% of the hospital's staff and patients are Muslim, so we're really not supposed to eat-at all-during the day as a sign of respect. I completely understand this and when I was told this, I nodded and said, "Well, of course!" I didn't know what that meant though and how that affected daily life.

I, and the rest of the staff, get a majority of our meals from the hospital cafeteria. However, the cafeteria isn't actually open during the day, during Ramadan. So, my friend and I have to go down to the kitchen, ask them for some food, and then walk up to a side room to eat with the other non-Muslims in an unlit room. I am more than happy to do this and I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's amazing how differently your life changes when you have to eat and drink in private or away from anyone's eyes. This is also a feat for me during dinner. As most of you know, 6:00 is usually the latest I can eat before my head starts going in circles and pea soup shoots out of my mouth. But in Jerusalem, most non-Muslim people eat dinner at 7...at the EARLIEST! This is not a big deal for anyone else, but it is for the senior citizen in me.

The other interesting thing about Ramadan, which is completely obvious, is how it affects EVERYONE'S mood. When you live in a city that is predominately Muslim, once the day gets closer to the night, people's tempers flair, guards are going cross-eyed and look exhausted, etc. Last night Brittany, Suzanna, and I went to the American Colony Hotel (which is this amazing 5 star hotel where all of these famous people have stayed...including Chuck Norris...) for a book sale. We took a cab at about 6:30 pm and the guy went nuts! He was going 90mph through rush-hour traffic! He, and everyone else on the road, just wanted to get home so that they could eat.

Sidenote: On the way down the mountain Suzanna noticed clouds of smoke coming from around the area. Apparently, all of these people were burning their garbage as a protest to a protest. The city workers are on strike, so the garbage (as well as a lot of other things) hasn't been picked up in a long time. People have gotten so sick of it collecting and have gotten so sick of the smell, that now they're just burning it in their front yards. The smell is unbelievable!

OK, I realize this isn't that exciting of a post, but it has been something that I've had to deal with every day that I didn't expect. I'm off to catch a bus to Bethlehem for dinner. Apparently, I need to be prepared to be stopped...A LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment